Monday, April 11, 2011

Under the Tuscan Sun

Being stationed in Florence this semester, I have been living in Tuscany for the past 3 months. After my program took us on an excursion around the hills and smaller towns of Tuscany, however, I realize that I am just now meeting the real Tuscany.

Siena
About an hour outside of Florence is the medieval town of Siena. I absolutely fell in LOVE with it! Since it is medieval, it is built on a hill and fortified with a stone wall that circles the city. It's exactly what you think of when you imagine a town in Toscana.






The society of Siena is based on 17 different neighborhoods dating back to the middle ages. Each neighborhood is represented by a different animal and that animal is displayed on placards, statues, flags, and signs throughout that particular community. Among the 17, I loved the unicorn, rhino, snail, fish, dolphin, and owl. They were so cute! The neighborhoods exist to make a larger community smaller. Our guide described it as being a part of a big family. There are pretty strict rules regarding the symbols but the bottom line is: once a panther, always a panther. You're actually baptized a second time into the community in which you are born. I love this concept!


Siena is also very well known for its cookies and cakes. I had the pleasure of eating 2 of the most famous cookies at one of the oldest pasticceria in the town, Nannini.

Panforte (literally, strong bread) consists of honey, chopped nuts, and dried fruit. It was given to armies during medieval times to sustain them during battle. If you've ever eaten a Clif Bar, that's kind of what it tastes like...but way better!

Ricciarelli were my favorite of the 2. It's basically a simple almond paste cookie sprinkled with powdered sugar. It's hard on the outside and soft on the inside!

And I have to mention the Pici. It's the handmade pasta typical of Siena. I got mine all'arrabiata (basically, with a spicy red sauce) so it ended up looking like bloody worms. Mmm.

Fonteverde Spa


After Siena, we drove through the hills to a spa resort where we were treated to their thermal baths. There were A LOT of old people. And many of them were wearing very unflattering swimsuits. Despite that, the baths were very relaxing. They are, in essence, giant bath tubs filled with a bunch of things that are good for your skin. The water was so hot and thick that it felt like I was submerged in pudding. I didn't like it at first but I warmed up to it (pun most definitely intended).

Perugia
After a night in a 4-star hotel in the hills of Tuscany and a 4 course, 2.5 hour Italian meal (don't get too excited. It wasn't that great but it was free.), we drove to Perugia, a small, medieval town in the Umbria region (so, not technically Tuscany) that is considered the chocolate capital of Europe. Our guide seemed nearly senile so we ditched the tour and explored on our own.


We weren't incredibly enthused by the city. For one, it was Sunday so almost nothing was open. Secondly, the town seemed mostly residential so there probably would not have been much to do if things WERE open.

What I DID love about Perugia, however, were the views. It was situated on a hill and overlooked the beautiful region of Umbria.

Chianti
After Perugia, we were taken on a 2 hour bus ride through the hills and valleys of Tuscany to Chianti, home of some of Italy's most famous wines...and Sting. I promised myself that I would live here one day. It was exactly what I was hoping Tuscany would be, and knowing that it is basically in my backyard is so ridiculous to me.


Our destination was Castel del Verrazzano, a castle and vineyard that produces Verrazzano wine (as well as olive oil and balsamic vinegar). Our arrival was overwhelming. The views were incredible. The compound contained gardens, fountains, and beautiful trees. Gino, the man that runs the vineyard and lives in the castle, was one of the coolest people I have ever encountered in my entire life. He gave a 20 minute spiel mostly about life in general, and let me tell you, this man has the answer to life. Basically, his philosophy is: Drink good wine, eat good food, and love strongly.
The castle. 
After hearing the hilariously entertaining yet wise Gino, we toured the vineyard and the cellars and were treated to a dinner and wine tasting.
Silenzio! Il vino sta riposando. Silence! The wine is sleeping!

The owner's reserve. Holy crap. 
Obviously, I have always said that I would NEVER drink alcohol as long as I live. Like my "no red meat" rule that was temporarily broken in Berlin, I decided to bend a little bit on this one as well. We were given 4 wines to try, 3 different types of Verrazzano Rosso (red wines) and Vin Santo with dessert. They taught us the different characteristics of wines as we tasted them: what it means to have "legs", colors, acidity, etc. I barely had a sip of each and that was already too much for me! I honestly don't know whose fruity legs I was supposed to be tasting but they definitely have a hygiene issue. My decision to abstain from alcohol was most definitely confirmed by the fact that I am absolutely repulsed by the taste (and smell) of it. Grody to the max.
This was the before picture. You would NOT want to see an
after picture. 

After the wine tasting, we drove through the wine country of Tuscany at sunset and arrived back in Florence. What a beautifully relaxing weekend! Thanks, API!
At the vineyard. 

This weekend, I am going to the Amalfi Coast with 2 of my roommates. It's the last major trip of the semester! I can't believe it!

Ciao Tesori!
~Britt

No comments:

Post a Comment