Thursday, February 17, 2011

Do as the Italians Do

One of the most common questions that people have been asking me about my experience in Italy so far is, "What are the people like?". This is a bit of a loaded question. Imagine if someone asked you, "What are Americans like?". It's a question that's impossible to answer without being a judgmental imbecile. However, despite my loathing of stereotypes and hasty generalizations, I will use this entry to list some of my observations.

Youth
-Not much different than Americans. We saw a large group of them in Piazza San Lorenzo one day. They all had their cliques, they all dressed similarly, and iPods/earbuds were not uncommon. Some things just don't change.
-Though I haven't really had any interaction with teenagers here, whenever I see a group of them, they always look up to no good.

Ragazzi (Young Men)
-Generally, you could replace "Young Men" with "horn dog". They are no stranger to the "cat call" and use no discretion when they see an attractive woman.
-Generally very smooth. They know what they're doing but, then again, I'm not sure how often it works.
-When one hears the phrase "Ciao Bella" (Hello Beautiful) from these guys, one might think it's a compliment. Think again.
-The decent Italian guys are exactly what I was hoping they'd be. When I was in a piazza between classes one day, I needed a seat and this very attractive Italian dude moved over for me. When I said, "Grazie", he replied with "You're welcome, dawling". *Melt*

Ragazze (Young Women)
-Though most of the aforementioned guys see young, naive American girls as their prey, Italian girls have to deal with their crap as well. Because of this, young Italian women often appear cold and unfriendly.
-They know that, when called by a man, they should just ignore him and keep walking (unlike many of my peers).
-Due to the fashionable nature and fitness of Italians, young women walking down the street often look like runway models.

Donne Vecchie (Older Women)
-There's a tendency for older women to be cold and sometimes rude. My vegetable vendor is not friendly at all and I would go as far as to say she's often mean.
-Exactly what I thought they'd be. They seem very traditional and a bit resistant to modernization of Italy.
-I think they're disappointed in the younger generation because young people don't have a lot of respect for those who are older (but that's everywhere). I once held the door for an old woman leaving a store, and I have never gotten that kind of reaction from someone just for opening a door for them. Her face it up, she rambled something in Italian and then she patted my hand and shoulder. She was speaking so quickly that I have no idea what she said but she was obviously very grateful. It was like one simple act restored her faith in young people. *Tips hat* Glad to be of service.

Uomi Vecchi (Older Men)
-Sometimes older men are just as pervy as the younger. And when a 50 year old comes onto you, it's a million times creepier than someone who's 25. I had a ridiculously weird experience with a gift shop worker at Palazzo Pitti. I won't go into details but it was 2 weeks ago and I'm still a little freaked.
-The middle-aged men often look like something straight from a mob movie and I haven't had a lot of interaction with them.
-Old Italian men are probably my favorite demographic (at least the ones that I have come in contact with). Generally, they are jovial, often smiling or singing, and seem to enjoy whatever they are doing. --
-The raddest Italians that I have met so far have both been at the market.
      >My fruit vendor is super friendly and always chooses the best fruit for me.
      >The guy that I buy chicken from is adorable and hilarious. He's probably about 65 years old,  
      doesn't speak a word of English and every time I go to the market, if he sees me walk by (even if I  
      don't buy anything from him), he always gets my attention. The other day, I was passing his booth
      and he said, "AMORE!" (LOVE!). Adorable.

Tutte Persone (All People...generally)
-Italians are crazy drivers. They don't stop for pedestrians (or, often, stoplights), they speed down roads barely wide enough for 2 bicycles, the drive on curbs, and they park anywhere they want. And that doesn't even begin to cover it.
-Drunkenness is never seen as a good thing in Italy. Drunken people are really frowned upon by society in general. Yes, Italians do enjoy wine but it is seen as part of a meal, not a separate entity. A glass with lunch and dinner satisfies them. I wish everyone adopted this idea.
-They are ALWAYS late. Life in Italy (with the exception of driving) is lived at a very leisurely pace. Buses, trains, and taxis are often late. Shows start late. Church starts late. Punctuality just isn't important to them. This would drive me INSANE at home but, here, I appreciate it.
-They have a sincere zest for life and try to get the most enjoyment out of everything. Almost everything is closed on Sunday and most business are closed on an additional day as well. Also, they observe siesta, so many places close between 1-3pm. There's that leisurely pace again.
-Italians are very fashionable. You never see them in tennis shoes, flip flops, shorts, or casual tees (unless at the beach). Daily wear here would probably be considered dressy/dressy-casual in the states. I love the fact that guys can be fashionable and maintain an awesome hairstyle without being considered gay or metrosexual. The physical appearance of Italian men has forever ruined me for men back home.

So, these are just some observations I've made this past month. None of it is scientific law but, hopefully, it will shed some light on life as Italians live it.

Ciao!
~Britt


1 comment:

  1. UGH! I hate driving and I hate cars! A least you can walk to most places ...

    ReplyDelete