Saturday, January 22, 2011

Arrivederci, gli Stati Uniti!

Tomorrow is the big day! Dad and I are going to church in the morning and then it's off to the airport! I've got a 4 hour layover in Paris, then BUON GIORNO, FIRENZE! I'm still just as nervous as I was a week ago but I know that I am going to have the time of my life.

Travel is one of the things I love most in the world so, I'm not too worried about "culture shock". My biggest concern is the fact that I don't know anyone. You see, I'm an extremely relational person. If I was a car, I'd have to be fueled with love, good conversation, and tight embraces that squeeze your eyeballs out. Like a car, if I don't get the fuel I need, I shut down. What if I don't get that?

On the other side of my mind, I'm thinking, "HOLY CRAP! I'M GOING TO ITALY!!! WHAT THE HECK AM I WORRIED ABOUT?!". I have been blessed with a dream's fulfillment and I can't wait to explore the beautiful country from which my ancestors hail. It's going to be the time of my life and God is already using it to draw me into a deeper relationship with Him.

This entire week has consisted of me teeter-tottering between these two thoughts. It's my gollum/smeagol complex. I am so thankful to have people in my life who have offered wise words as I've wrestled with my mind this week: Don't hold back, you don't want to come back with any regrets; relax; fear is not from God. Then, Lin, my dad's girlfriend threw a surprise "going away" party for me, complete with an Italian meal, super cute decorations (which she made herself!), and an endless game of Apples to Apples. It was a fabulous send off, for sure.

I still can't believe the day is here. My mind has been my own worst enemy but God is always faithful and I am trying to depend solely on Him.

~ Britt

"For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind." -- 2 Timothy 1: 7

3 comments:

  1. This is so exciting! You are going to meet loads of friendly new people and learn so much! The nervousness will grow less and less. Remember to enjoy your time! I am definitely going to write to you and I'm going to try and do it weekly! :D So keep a look out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kiddo. Thinking about you and praying you are getting some rest tonight. Relax and enjoy all the new experiences and adventures that God has for you in Italy. Love you, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Honey,
    Looking for an update; I pray you are having the greatest time. Thinking of you everyday. Can't wait to hear how it's going and how beautiful it is. Know how much I love you. Always, Mom

    ReplyDelete