Sunday, January 30, 2011

The Not So Divine Comedy

Since arriving in Florence, I have done so many stupid things and have gotten lost so many times. Eventually, I make it to where I'm supposed to be and laugh about my temporary lapse of intelligence. One of the most pertinent lessons I've learned this past week is not to take myself too seriously.

The Half-wit Highlights of the Week

-My trek back home from the Uffizi Gallerie one night started with me falling on my butt and taking a wrong turn out of the exit. After realizing I had taken the wrong turn, I made an about-face and followed the 1 erroneous move with a series of faulty ones. All in all, I ended up getting home by making a zig-zag pattern through Florence and many of the streets were dark, deserted, and extremely sketchy.

-Last night, I was making dinner and trying to switch my sauce pan and my pasta pan on the stove. I was using a dish towel to protect my hands from the heat and, while transferring the pots, the towel fell into the flame and caught on fire! Apparently, my fight or flight type instincts are not so good because I started blowing on the flame. Thankfully, my roommate Elle was in the kitchen and she was like, "Brittany, just put it in the sink." I was spazzing out but all is well. We're just one dish towel short, now.

-This morning, I got up with the intention of visiting an English/Italian Methodist Church. It's quite a long walk (and today was very cold and very rainy) so, once again, I got lost getting there. When I finally found the building, I ended up passing the section with the correct church and landed in a very charismatic, all-spanish service. NO ONE spoke English but it was a very interesting and welcomed experience. I will try again next week but, in the meantime, I am very thankful for North Point's live streaming online service.

Buona Notte!
~Britt

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry that you fell on your booty! :( Oh& get some mace!! Protect yoself befo' yo' wrek yoself!

    ReplyDelete