Friday, January 28, 2011

La Mia Casa and What I've Learned Thus Far

Some of you have been asking to see some pictures of where I live. Well, ask and you shall receive. I should preface this by saying that our apartment is much better than what any of us expected. API prepared us for the worst and we were all pleasantly surprised when we got to the apartment.

Our apartment building. We're on the ground floor so we have a courtyard in lieu of a terrace. 
Our building was a palace at one point. 

The crazy old front door to our home.

Normally, I wouldn't add a pic of the bathroom but I feel like the bidet makes it necessary. We still don't know how to use it and we probably never will.
EPILOGUE:

I've been in Florence for about a week and here's what I've noticed so far:

1. If you've ever been to Europe, you know that it has a very distinct smell. Italy is no exception. The best way I can describe it is this: wet dog + pipe tobacco. It's an old smell but it smells like Europe.

2. Italians like cigarettes. Again, this is something Italy shares with most other nations in Western Europe but it's a bit surprising considering how progressive Europe is.

3. Driving in Italy would be a nightmare. There are traffic laws and stop lights but they're really only suggestions. Not even the crosswalks are safe for pedestrians.

]
4. Nutella is EVERYWHERE! Don't get me wrong; I'm not complaining but you can actually get a 10 pound jar of the stuff here and it's way cheaper than in the states. A common snack in Florence is a waffle with Nutella on it. You see it everyday on the streets. 

5. Plumbing is WAY different here. No one wants to tear down palaces that are hundreds of years old so they just drill holes in the stone and put pipes in them. The sewage system here dates back to the Renaissance.

6. Italian men are extremely forward. I was warned about this by many different people before I left. If you watch How I Met Your Mother, think Barney Stinson times 10. My friend Ella and I were accosted a few nights ago by 2 men while walking around town but I told the dude that I had a boyfriend in Florence and they left us alone.


Ci vediamo! (Until tomorrow!)
~Britt

1 comment:

  1. Florence is my dream land! Imagine ...10 lbs of Nutella ....Lol. You apartment is so cute!! As far as using the bidet? I wouldn't. That's a little strange to me. I'll just wash my butt in the bath. It still also shocks me that Europe is so heavily ciggeretted(yes, I made up a word for you)and I think that just about every place smells of wet dog and a little something extra ...except GA. It smells like fish.Uck. Glad that you're having a good time! I wuvs yoooouuuuu!! <3

    ReplyDelete